LONTAR issue #5 is now out in the world, and should be appearing in bookstores soon. You can already order it directly from Epigram Books, and the ebook will be up at Weightless Books in the very near future.
I am also happy to announce that the contents of LONTAR issue #6 have been finalised! This jam-packed sixth issue presents speculative writing from and about Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia, the Philippines, Cambodia and Laos. Inside these pages, you’ll find:
- the high cost of cheap footwear by celebrated author Ken Liu;
- the consequence of domesticating a mythical Indonesian beast by up-and-comer Eka Kurniawan (translated by Tiffany Tsao);
- a mind-bending familial space opera by Victor Fernando R. Ocampo;
- the connection between a talented girl and the toys she’s brought to life by JY Yang;
- a break-up that descends into artistic oblivion by Jennifer Anne Champion;
- an academic examination into the legend of Bukit Merah by award-winner Ng Yi-Sheng;
- a comic on the unexpected danger of the manananggal by Budjette Tan & Kajo Baldisimo;
- and speculative poetry from Jonel Abellanosa, Ang Si Min, Russ Hoe, Desmond Kon Zhicheng-Mingdé, Christina Sng, Sokunthary Svay, Krishna Udayasankar, Brendan Walsh and Marco Yan.
We are now reading for issue #7, to be released in Autumn 2016, so if you want your work to be considered, send it to us via the Submittable portal. If you’re still waiting for a reply on your submission, please be patient and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.